commuterBOBbie
avoiding my car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to a story of a cyclist's recovery from a crash:
http://www.floridabicycle.org/messen.../winter036.htm
His was worse than yours, but he offers good advice for dealing with insurance companies and lawyers.

First, if you have an auto insurance policy, your PIP will cover your medical and might cover a percentage of lost wages. I carry a medical rider on mine (it's very cheap) and it fills in some of the gaps as well.

My own personal experience with being hit was not as bad. I was not badly injured - some bruises, a sprain and the tip of one finger was broken. The driver had State Farm. The State Farm adjuster was not only prompt in reimbursing me for all bike repair expenses, he actually pursued me to offer a (generous) settlement for the broken finger. But my experience is rare, from all the horror stories I've heard.

I'm not sure how the insurance thing works with a non-owner driver, but I was under the impression that a driver's liability insurance applies no-matter what vehicle is driven. If the driver did not own a car or have insurance, you might have a battle with the car-owner's company.

Good luck. Heal fast.
CB