supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Project Question

I've changed to a new bike for the summer; but I don't feel like letting go of last summers bike, a Panasonic Sport 1000. I've grown attached, not sure why, but I'm thinking of keeping it. Anyhow, its main issue is reach. It's too long--I ride holding onto the flat parts of the bars, wishing for it to be even closer! Otherwise, it rode fine, albeit every bearing was worn out and out of true rims.

I've been keeping an eye out for a good English 3 speed; I found a women's last year but it's too small. So... In my mind I'm thinking of combining the two for fun. I don't remember the spoke count on the SA hub (it's a '69), but for now I'd leave it on the old rim to just set things up. I think the 40T chainring and 19T cog will work ok, at least for now. I'm not sure what brake levers I'd want to use, but I've seen posts about that before on here, so I'd probably go use the search function for that.

But what about the reach? I'm thinking of buying a threaded to threadless stem convertor, then using a more modern stem, then using a set of North End bars (alloy of more recent vintage). I figure, it's easier to swap stems with the newer style. But would this wind up potentially with the handlebars being too far away for comfort?