Old 04-17-08, 07:07 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
Good point - there were a lot of versions of this derailleur from 1972 on. Initially, they shifted better than NR, and could shift a wider range of gears, but perhaps weren't vastly superior. But the later versions, circa 1983-84 or so, used a drop parallelogram and were some of the best friction shifting derailleurs ever made. This is the version I was referring to re: the OP's bike, and the one that would have been extant when the OP originally built up his bike in 1983, give or take. The later Simplex SLJ derailleurs remain sought after for period-type builds when performance remains a primary concern, i.e. many classic-style randonneur and touring bikes. A case in point:

http://www.mariposabicycles.com/650b-touring.html
This is what I suspected... on another note, IN THEORY the 1st generation campagnolo Rally would be a better derailleur than the one on the mariposa again because they are so similar but the 1st Rally has a drop parallelogram... but this also made me think... perhaps the sprung upper pivot made shifting with the original SLJ better?