View Single Post
Old 04-18-08, 12:19 AM
AkAk2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucklehead
not to nitpick or anything, but there's a huge difference between a stun gun(which it sounds like this kid had) and a taser. stun guns are pretty useless unless you're are being held down. it's more of a deterrent. you hear a scary sound, you'll feel a shock, and it'll hurt, but it won't stop you from getting up and kicking someone's ass. someone comes at me with a stun gun and no friends to help, i may get shocked, but i'm also breaking his arms.
tasers actually fire projectiles that stick in your skin and deliver an incapacitating shock. they will drop you.
Appreciate the info. I have no experience with either, and always just assumed a stun gun was a generic umbrella term for the whole class of taser-like weapons. Good to know the difference. Sounds like a stun gun doesn't really hurt you or immobilize, but just hurts? That doesn't sound too bad. Wouldn't mind wading right through something like that if it means I can get to the guy.

Does a taser, then, have a higher-capacity capacitor or voltage? The projectile mechanism just seems like a shock delivery mechanism. A stun gun to the exposed skin, or taser-like projectiles fired at a person, would seem to be comparable shock-delivery mechanisms -- both would seem to provide solid contact through which the voltage could be delivered. One must have a higher voltage, or so it seems to the uninitiated.