Old 04-20-08, 04:40 PM
Rob Glatfelter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you have tools, a co-op, and/or a shop labor budget? Also don't forget to add shipping to your budget for those parts, unless those are prices at your local bike shop. You will also need to drill your fork to accept new recessed brakes and probably buy a new hex nut for the front, again this might mean a shop budget. Also, your current (I assume) 27" tires and tubes won't fit those wheels, so figure another $30 or more for some decent tires and tubes.

Noted on the shipping and tire/tube prices. Though I suppose I could go pick up the parts, gas would likely be more than shipping.
I have full access to all the tools I'll need.
A shop budget around here on a Tuesday night is a sixer.

Tires and tubes getting knocked off by the fact that you've convinced me I can re-use my wheelset.

Off to google to find out more about recessed brakes I suppose?

The best reason to go this way IMO.

Definitely.

You will have a better crank set. Everything else will be about comparable. I would worry more about the comfort and geometry than weight (which is impossible to say without knowing a bit more about your current frame, though I would guess they will be similar). Your current bike surely gives you a plusher ride than the Kilo will.

Plusher ride?

Call or email whoever is selling it and ask what chain line the hub will give you. Almost all of the cheaper wheels have formula hubs which will give you 42mm in back. Again, it will be much easier to adjust the chain line with your crank set/bb than with the hub. Unless you have wheel building skills, you would need a shop to re-dish and re-space the rear a few mm to get both a good chain line and a centered rim (which you will need with a rear brake)

And if I keep my current wheelset I should just take them in and have the shop tell me what kind of chain line the rear hub will get me?

EDIT: Looking at that messenger really makes me want to keep working with my bike.
Man, you'd think they could make them a little prettier?