Thread: 3/4 person tent
View Single Post
Old 04-21-08, 01:44 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Is that 2 people in one sleeping baq, perchance?

My tent is a little larger than the SL2, and I can't imagine how you fit two people (who aren't married, that is) inside without someone bumping the sides of the tent sooner or later. Probably more of an issue in northern CA than Death Valley, of course.....

In general I agree; "two pounds here" and "two pounds there" does add up.

However, you can be judicious about your weight allowances, e.g. get a heavier tent, but get lighter cooking utensils, leave other stuff behind etc.

Also, my 4.5 lb tent costs about $200 less than the 2 lb Seedhouse SL. Is there a more cost-effective way to drop 2 pounds from your gear?
I've slept in that the Seedhouse SL2 with two different people between 5'5" & 5'10" - in separate sleeping bags. Haven't had any issues at all. I find it quite a roomy tent for its weight.

I haven't price compared tents in a while as I expect I'll have my Seedhouse SL2 for many years, but my philosophy is to save up and buy quality gear that meets all my needs and will last a long time. The $315cdn for the Seedhouse SL2 seems like a reasonable cost when I amortize it over its lifetime and take into account the size, weight & quality of the tent.

In order to get your weight down on tour you really have to drop the excess weight in all areas. Part of that is just taking less and the other is choosing lightweight items.

Bottom line though there is no specific weight you need to hit to have fun on tour. Some people tour with the kitchen sink others go so minimalist they make me look like I living large with my kit....there are no rules as long as you are happy with your setup.