Old 04-21-08, 03:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonahhobbes
Just wondering as I'm just sourcing the batteries etc, no mean feat in New Zealand I can tell you. Can the NiMh batteries that you use RC types stand being overcharged? Although the sealed batteries I have used in the past weigh a ton they can stand being left on the charger when you put them on and fall asleep in front of the TV type scenario; unlike the Vision stick/Nite Flux Nimh which would totally get screwed if you overcharged them. Also what sort of life do the batteries have?

I emailed this guy who supplies RC stuff: "Hi,

I am intending to build another set of lights for my bicycle and was wondering if you could recommend a battery/batteries? I intend to run a 20watt halogen bulb and am looking at around 1hr minimum run time. I have used a12v 4amphour SLA batteries but want to go for something lighter. One website recommends x2NiMH RC car battery packs, which are 7.2 volts, 3 AmpHours each, connected together via a Y cable or something similar to power the bulb. Do you think these RC batteries would be up to the task? If so do you stock the batteries, chargers and connecting Y cable and what sort of cost would I be looking at?"

The build I was looking at was very similar to yours, I used this as an example because I forgot to favorite this page and could not find it quickly

His reply:

"Hi I would say li poly would be best as they are less than half the weight of ni cads but they are expensive and you need a special charger. I carry a large range of batteries and chargers with cables. What I don't have I can get in."

I've read that Li poly batteries are more expensive and have some weird safety issues.

I am just wondering if the system is worth the hassle as we don't have anything near a Radioshack or battery outlets over here and sourcing stuff is a nightmare, also a local company is offering very very cheap deals on commercial light systems. Grrrr sometimes living over here is so frustrating!

Sealed=weighs a ton but works for ever taking a million recharges quickly without memory issues. Cheap and does the job.

Commercial Nimh systems= No sourcing problems, you get a complete set up. They suck if you commute as they get messed up if left to long on the charger, never seem to stand multiple recharging, expensive although getting cheaper, very light. I have tried about 3 types from cheap to expensive and never had any that stood more than a years daily use.

Homemade Retinal burners= ? Need to find the components, batteries, chargers, wiring, (bulbs easy though), the cost of making them is getting close to the cheaper commercial systems.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Each lamp is about $100 (US) using the setup I have. That's for everything except the charger. You don't have to use the fog lights, PVC or even track lighting works well. As long as it will stand the heat, you should be fine.

NiMH batteries don't like overcharging anymore than any other battery but that's why you need a good charger that measures heat and charge. When you get to a certain point, the charger will shut off or go into a trickle mode. There's lot's of smart chargers out there. Your RC guy should have them or check with a ham radio shop.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!