View Single Post
Old 04-21-08, 04:42 PM
silentben

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse carbon 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday I did a loop of Marin (including Mt. Tam) with my brother. I woke up at 6am and checked the weather. All of Marin county was showing 30-32 degrees with forecast highs for the day at about 50.

We started just south of the golden gate bridge at about 7:45am and rode directly to the top of Mt. Tam (Hwy 1, Panoramic Hwy, Pan Toll). This early in the morning the winds were still relatively calm and climbing helped us to stay warm.

Climbing on Pan Toll Road

When reaching the top of Mt. Tam around 10am I noticed this scene:

Why is the picnic table all white on top? Closer inspection revealed the answer:

Snow!

Severe clear looking west from the top of Mt. Tam

We descended down Panoramic Highway into Stinson beach and my face and lips got cold enough that it was hard to speak intelligibly. I felt about the same as after a dentist appointment where they numb you up with novacaine. Anyway we weren't quite ready to stop and so we continued on to Bolinas to eat some lunch there.

Highway 1 from Stinson Beach to the turnoff for Bolinas

I'm not sure if the 25 refers to the speed limit or the speed of the headwind! Luckily this stretch of road is only a few miles long.

Here we are after eating in Bolinas. Pardon the ugly panoramic stitching, I wasn't thinking "panorama" when I took the two photos and so there is some nasty parallax errors.

Climbing up the west side of Fairfax-Bolinas road

Stopped again in Fairfax for another snack. This bike rack had one bike in it when we arrived and then got really popular all of a sudden