stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Are SIMPLEX parts becoming THAT rare?

I recently posted a WTB note in this forum. Someone kindly directed me to an ebay sale with just what I was looking for. --- I bought it. --- The parcel arrived today --- Surprise! The WRONG Simplex cable guide/stop was sent. ~ I'm now waiting to hear whether this was a simple fumble, and the whether the correct item is in fact available. I did a bit of research and the same photo was used in a January auction from the same seller... I know the Japanese buyer and sent him an email... he confirmed the correct part had been sent to him. - I've bought from this eBay Seller several times over the years and he's always been reliable... well, ... so far.

This is just yet another pitfall in my quest for what increasingly seems to be a very elusive little part. I know this seems nuts to fret over a silly cable guide. In fact virtually identical and perfectly functional pieces are commonly available - made by Falcon, Suntour, Shimano, Huret, and even Campagnolo! ... and most are even available in New-Old-Stock condition. However, in this case I'd really like to match the derailleurs and shifters with the proper part.

But it puzzles me how a minor piece which was probably sold in thousands or even millions during the 1970s and 1980s can now be so very hard to locate. Is it just me or have Simplex pieces now become such true rarities?

BTW: This is my current Holy Grail. Who would have thought it would be so elusive?