View Single Post
Old 04-26-08, 06:22 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I wasn't using any freehub stuff then, though I've bought a couple hubs now -- but I don't believe there was any difference between the actual freehub used for 126 mm or 130 mm dropout spacing. If all you want to do is use a freehub on a bike that's going to have a 7-speed cassette, then you have two basic choices:
a) the 130 mm hubs I've seen have a spacer that's about 4 mm wide on the non-drive side axle. Remove it, and apart from axle length (which may work, or may have to be cut with a Dremel), you've got a 126 mm dropout assembly. Of course, if it's already laced to a rim, you might need to redish the wheel, since now the hub centerline is 2 mm left of where it was before.
b) if you can't spread your 126 mm spaced stays 4 mm further apart when installing a 130 mm OLD wheel, then you've either got an aluminum frame, or you need to eat more Wheaties and spinach.

BTW, I've bought two sets of the NOS early Deore XT hubs from Jones Bike on eBay. They were inexpensive, the hubs are beautifully finished, and nicely designed, and they come with a freehub already -- unfortunately it is a Uniglide on mine. That's no problem, really, if you have a Dremel tool or are good with a file. You can disassemble a Hyperglide cassette, and grind the one wider inside spline on each sprocket (on the correct side!) so that they'll all fit onto the Uniglide freehub's even-width splines. Then reassemble the cassette and pop it on.

Sheldon Brown wrote an excellent article on this subject, covering most of the above:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Do find the mention that right-side "cone and the dustcap" (search for this) may not be compatible between older and newer bodies. And, as usual, Dura-Ace is a compatibility nightmare unto its own.