View Single Post
Old 04-21-02, 06:30 AM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I, too, travel light, w/repair equipment similar to velocipedio. Beyond that, food, beverage, and a little emergency money are the most important. I haven't had occasion to start a ride completely bundled up, and needed to remove it. At the worst, I'll start w/arm & leg warmers. When they come off, they'll fit in the jersey pockets.

In ~16 years of riding, there's only been three times that having more equipment would have been of benefit. Once, back in twelve-speed days, I pretzeled my rear derailleur on a botched shift. It also bent the hanger. At best, if I'd had a chain tool I could have cobbled up a fixed gear. Instead, I walked .25 miles to a house and phoned my wife. Another time, chain broke, and I had to walk farther for rescue call. The only other time, I was riding on some tires that required a hook bead, that my rims didn't have. Tire blew off, creating a tube with an unpatchable 3" gash. No prob...got a spare. In the process of pumping it up, I broke the stem off the tube (is there a thread about proper use of a frame pump?). A passing jogger pointed me to his house and, again, wife to the rescue.

Wait, there was another time. Last year, about 65 miles into a century, my saddle came loose at the top of the seatpost (not the collar). To tighten it required a smaller allen wrench than I was carrying. I tightened it as much as I could by hand and rode the wobbly saddle 10 more miles 'til I caught up with someone that had a small enough allen. Now I also carry that size allen.

Last edited by roadbuzz; 04-21-02 at 06:39 AM.