Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Unless you are an emergency vehicle driver. Of course you don't assume you are heard or seen, but you do want to be heard and/or seen and do expect action beyond holding a line once your presence is noted.

Al
Granted, but a) I've never had a problem hearing a siren over my headphones - those buggers are LOUD, and b) it's only ever a preliminary warning - you should always visually confirm where it's coming from before taking any action, if any action is even necessary, and they have flashing lights to help them stand out more for that very purpose. The siren just gives you a bit more time to react to an unusual situation.

How do the deaf deal with them? Are they more attuned to spotting the flashing lights? Do they take visual cues off other drivers?

I've never seen an emergency vehicle plow through traffic as though they expect people to move. Yes it's a legal requirement that traffic must leave a clear path for them, but I've only ever seen them drive as fast as the conditions safely permit. eg. they run red lights, but not before slowing and confirming visually that's it clear first.