View Single Post
Old 05-01-08, 08:16 AM
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pungee
As someone who own his a retail business (not cycling) I would just shut my mouth and accept any business that walks through my door. Although you did not buy all parts from the lbs you were willing to spend a decent chunk of change and were paying for the build. Brick and mortar stores need to adapt and capitalize on all business that comes there way.

Option #2 for the LBS was to get zero dollars at retail instead of $600 in parts and $100 in labor.

Some folks are just plain stupid.
I agree. I bought my first bikes from a bike shop (Gary Fisher Tassajara and Trek 1200) and them later bought a higher end bike online (Airborne Zeppelin with Ultegra, Dura-Ace). I showed up for the group ride that the bike shop does and the manager of the store gave me a good natured ribbing. However, when I needed service I always took it to them and they had no problem (and to be honest, I bought a ton of stuff from them too, wheels, clothes, halogen bike lights etc etc). I would estimate that over the last few years I've spent at least $2000 - $3000 at the bike shop.

I don't know the margin that shops make on bikes but I would think they also make some money on accessories, wheels etc etc.

The ultimate irony is that the frame did not fit me very well (it was an amazing frame, its just that the geometry of Airborne Zeppelins do not fit my body very well). I ended up giving it to a friend who held a bike race in Haiti and that frame was the first prize.

This bike shop is not the closest to where I live, but they are my first choice for anything. I took my wife there looking for a helmet and the owner spent 30 minutes with us going over helmets, proper helmet fitting etc etc.

If I ever do buy another frame (I was entertaining getting a Seven Alaris or Axiom at some point in the future) these guys would be my first choice.

Ragging on someone for not buying the bike from your shop or for buying online is essentially short sighted and a sure way to lose customers. I once took the Airborne Zeppelin to another bike shop (I was riding and needed to pop into a random bike shop for a few minor things). One of the guys behind the counter said very loudly and condescendingly 'Oh, thats one of those crappy chinese frames'. I put what I was buying on the counter, turned around and walked out.