View Single Post
Old 05-03-08, 07:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex
I am not sure what being recognized does. The bill was interesting to read. The same congress is seriously talking about a vacation for the gas tax at a time when it needs to be increased. It all looks like a babbling bunch of drunks from here.
Federal gas tax is 18 cents per gallon. At $3.00 per gallon it costs $45.00 to buy 15 gallons. Minus the gas tax you'd save $2.70. Do you think that you'd really notice the difference or would you just buy a Big Gulp to spill in your lap when you go over a pot hole that isn't going to get fixed?

Hillery's plan is even dumber. She wants to add an additional tax onto the oil companies so they'll just raise their prices 18 cents and the net result will be zero.

Raising the gas tax to discourage consumption doesn't sound very smart to me either. No politician is likely to have the courage to raise it say $1.00 a gallon. The pump price has already raised that much and short term consumption hasn't dropped that much. We'll see what happens long term as people replace their cars and car manufacturers react to the demand for more fuel efficient cars.