View Single Post
Old 05-03-08, 12:10 PM
SweetLou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
"Stealth camping" - Found this in the dictionary, did you? I think the term may mean different things to different people. To me the word stealth implies that you are doing something for which stealth is advisable, such as trespassing. I guess to some people it also means keeping a low profile so you won't be hassled by the type of person who might hassle an innocent camper for no reason.

In any event, I don't like trespassing. I don't think it's the right thing to do, and then there are all those possibilities that cyccommute listed. I did it a few times when I was younger and poor, and avoiding paying camping fees was a big deal. I felt guilty doing it. I got rousted out of bed a couple of times and it wasn't fun.

I do like camping in random places that aren't campgrounds - like just about anywhere in national forests - as long as I feel like I'm not trespassing. It's free, and there are no noisy neighbors. It's more of a "wilderness experience." On the down side, there's usually no reliable water source, so I either have to have a filter and a river, stream, or lake, or bring lots of water with me and use it carefully; there's no table, and no bathrooms (certainly no shower.)
I agree, I would not trespass. I do think people have different meanings of stealth camping. But I do not know why this is. To me, stealth camping means what it sounds like it means, that I want to be hidden. Why a person doesn't want to be seen can vary. For me, it's not because I am doing something wrong and don't want to be caught, but because I don't want to be hassled, my camp found while sleeping or hiking. For some reason, people like to steal and damage others' property for no reason that I can think of.

Stealth camping is just camping so that you are hidden, the reasons to stealth camp can vary. Some do it so they are not hassled, some do it because they are trespassing and don't want to be found. But to say stealth camping is trespassing is like saying cycling is trespassing, because some people cycle in areas where it is not allowed.