Old 05-04-08, 06:03 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike
Gasoline prices are sure pushing into new territory lately. Adding pain to the situation is the rapid inflation of food cost. Ouch.

Gas is over $4.05 in Washington, DC this week.

Our family is already making some changes. Of course, I have always been a bicycle commuter, but now, I insist that my teen son bicycle to places with me rather than us taking the car. I tell him that it is HIS world we are saving.
Remember, Mike, when we were having these discussions back when gas was still less than $2 a gallon? That day is upon us that we all predicted, and those who chose to ignore the obvious are paying for it, and the cost still goes up...

We said things like, "People won't change until gas goes up to $4 gal."

The really ironic thing is that so many of us who have been commuting by bicycle for years weren't motivated by such high prices at the pump. Do prices have to go up to $6 for people to change? $8...?

Oh, I'm not wishing for that. I know the economic impact. Nor do I want everyone to do what I do, which is ride a bike. In fact, I kind of doubt most people will (unless we start talking $8, $10...) But I somehow feel vindicated in the face of those who said to me, "Why do you ride a bike? You're crazy!"

BTW, I do think I've seen a few more un-standard utilitarian cyclist types out there, lately. Goodonyer, mates!

Last edited by LittleBigMan; 05-04-08 at 06:11 PM.