View Single Post
Old 05-04-08, 09:06 PM
lammius

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc (2015); Priority EIGHT (2016)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I met up with some friends outside the PATH station and we lined up just north of Duane and Church Sts at 6:45. It was foggy and quite chilly. When we finally got started, I was surprised how smoothly the ride went. We cruised along at a steady but slow 8-10 mph, but I expected more stop-and-go. We hit the queue to enter Central Park at 53rd St at around 8:35. The FDR portion was, as obersts001 said, very cool.

We didn't have to climb up the 59th St Bridge approach, due to the emergency situation that had occurred there by that time (around 9:10). Everyone dismounted and walked up the bridge, except one jerk behind us who stayed mounted, pedaling and slamming his breaks before colliding into us and everyone else walking. He also refused to move right for police and littered his energy bar wrappers. Grrrrrrr...

We arrived in Astoria Park around 10:20ish. Out came the sun! Quick restroom break and some sliced oranges, a wave to the dancing Commerce Bank logo, and off we went. The segment through LIC, over Pulaski Br., and really all the way to the BQE moved very nicely. Nice wide streets. On the BQE a nasty spill occurred in my vicinity at the Prospect Expwy split. We encountered another queue at the Belt Pkwy split around 11:20. The climb up the Verrazano wasn't bad, although the narrow space (due to construction) for the initial portion was a bit frustrating. Once it opened up we could get some more speed. We entered the festival at noon and decided to head right to the ferry terminal. There seemed to be more people out spectating in SI than anywhere else, even a small block party on one street.

I saw friends off at the terminal and then headed west along Richmond Terrace toward the Bayonne Bridge. Over the Bridge and onto Bayonne's main drag (Broadway), stopping for a refuel at a hot dog spot. Up Kennedy Blvd and I was home in Jersey City by 3:00.

From the ride's official start til my return home, 7 hours, 57 miles. My first 5 Boros tour, and I'm looking forward to next year!