View Single Post
Old 05-05-08, 09:13 AM
Duncan Ave.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rampar guinea pig

I am trying to learn to work on my bikes instead of taking them to the bike shop for every little thing. Just too much hassle. My mom's old Rampar (1980ish) has been elected to be the guinea pig.

Servicing the bottom bracket is the first job. I managed to get the cranks and the lock ring off, but then ran into trouble. I had purchased Parks's green pin spanner before I ever started, hoping it would be the right one. Of course it isn't. Instead of having two holes to fit the pin spanner in, the adjustable cup has two slots. They are a little under 1/4" tall and run the width of the ring.

Does anybody know what tool I need? I couldn't find a close up picture of the other Park pin spanners (the red and yellow) to see if one of them was flat as opposed to a round pin. I probably could knock it loose with a screwdriver, but I hate to booger stuff up like that. The crank has RS (or maybe SR) stamped on it like that is the brand. I haven't heard of that in my limited experience, but, hey, it's a low end bike.

I just know one of you guys who do a lot of flipping has run across this before.

Thanks