View Single Post
Old 05-05-08, 02:07 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Get the LHT if you've got a need to carry heavy loads distributed between front and rear panniers, and you want ultra-low gearing designed for hauling very heavy stuff over long mountain passes.

If you're not hauling tons of gear and don't plan on any fully loaded touring, then go with the X-Check. It's plenty durable for any kind of rough roads you'll put it on. (It's a CX bike fer crying out loud!) With minor adjustments from the stock setup on the X-Check Complete it's a very capable and comfortable long distance bike or commuter rig. Aside from the usual stem/post/saddle/bars question for general fit of the bike, the first thing I'd change on the stock setup (if you ride lots of hills and want the range) is put a 34t ring up front and a wider MTB cassette in back.

I'm not saying the LHT is a bad bike, just that if you're not planning on doing any touring it's not the best bike for the application.