Old 05-05-08, 03:34 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Again, I've got to question: As good at what?

The LHT and Cross Check are both excellent bikes, but I think it's essential to distinguish the type of riding you'll be doing before chosing a bike. The LHT is a fantastic touring frame, but I wouldn't want one on a congested city commute where I'd need a sharp turning radius and quick manouverability. The Cross Check is awesome as a commuter and distance bike (I have one), but with it's higher bottom bracket I wouldn't load the panniers on it as a long distance touring rig.
Either bike is going to work well for long distances, but if you're looking for a more aggressive position in the saddle and tighter handling from the bike, the Cross Check is the way to go. If you want a more relaxed position in the saddle and effortless straight-line tracking from the bike, then the LHT is a better choice.

More aggressive position? You could setup both bikes to have the same position.

Where are you getting the big differences in handling from? The difference varies between sizes, but in my size the head tube and seat tube angles are the same on both bikes. A couple cm on the chainstay isn't going to be that drastic.

It just sounds like you're speaking of theoretical differences between a touring and race bike more than the actual differences between these two frames.