Old 05-06-08, 01:11 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
OK, I was being facetious in post #9, but CliftonGK1, like Jeffs and others have said, it's not the frame geometry that will make the real difference in traffic, especially if you're differentiating between the LHT and Crosscheck!

FWIW I've stripped my LHT down to a bare bones 'road bike' configuration, thrown on the Ksyrium Elites with 23's, and comfortably hung with the lead group on 100+ mile road rides averaging over 20mph. The same bike with my commuter/tourer 36-spoke wheelset, 38's, full fenders, lights, front & rear racks and panniers, and I'm off for a long weekend camping/fishing trip. Somewhere in between is my commuting setup, which also sees me reconfig the bike season to season, and depending where I'm working at the time. I've done 60 mile r/t, 5 days per week commutes on my LHT, you could say that it's a daily 'tour' at that distance..... Once or twice a week I hook up the trail-a-bike plus the kiddiecarrier trailer behind that and take the kids out for a fun ride on the 'road train' , then there's the multitude of cargo trailers loaded with up to 300lb of all sorts of different things I've towed behind the LHT over the years. The 30 - 50lb of weekly grocery shopping is just routine now.... Try finding another bike as versatile, for the price. (I'm sure there are some, but not many)

Of the several dozen bikes I've owned through the years, and the 6 in my garage now (including my C'dale CAAD9 Optimo1 Dura-Ace, carbon upgrades, etc.) none feel as 'right' as my LHT. It's not as light/stiff/fast/nimble as the C'dale, but a helluva lot tougher. It's not as 'pure' as the fg, but infinitely more versatile, and not as robust as the mountain bike, but pretty darn close! (I used to take a singletrack short cut on my commute once). It's the one I'd keep if I could only ever have 1 bike. It's like an extension of my body. She's not the absolute best bike in every category, but she's the best in some and so close to the best in others that she's the most versatile by far.

Last edited by Cyclaholic; 05-06-08 at 01:23 AM.