Old 05-06-08, 08:36 AM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim
So it sounds like the LHT is the do all bike? I had really been looking at the C-check as a do all with light touring being part of the all. Now I am confused..........as usual

Mr. Jim,

I think the Xcheck is a good do all bike. I think what you're seeing is that everyone's happy with what they decided to get.

I am VERY happy to have the Xcheck. I ride over 30 miles a day on my commute, do kiddie hauling, change it from geared to single speed for winter riding, and even doing some light tours. I have average feet, size 9, and I never have heel strike nor do I have toe overlap unless I use fenders.

The ONE thing I wish the Xcheck had, and it's still in no way a deal breaker, is lowrider braze ons on the fork for a little bit more "involved" touring. As it is I can still put a solid front rack on there and do a front rack bag, but I can't do panniers (that I've found, but I'm open to ideas) on the front. So, I do a front rack bafg, a handlebar bag, rear panniers and I stack the rear rack, and then do a frame bag and I'm set!

Good for at least a few nights, depending on how smelly I'm ok with getting and how much money I can accept spending on food instead of cooking it.

I like it because it's so zippy feeling, and because I like to race 'cross in the fall, and because I like making it a single speed for the winter as I abhor derailleur duty on a daily basis. The LHT is great, but it's more like a cruise ship where the Crosscheck is a cabin cruiser. The cruise ship is great, but it's a bit more slow feeling to me and not as nice if you want to do just pure road riding a lot with it. Light touring is my last priority, whereas commuting is #1 for me, and going on fun rides is #2.

I could go on forever, but you get the idea...try them both and decide which one feels better to ride and go from there. However, if loaded touring is #1 for you, then don't even question it and get the LHT.