View Single Post
Old 05-06-08, 09:26 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When I mention the 'more aggressive position' on the Cross Check vs. the LHT, I'm talking about stock-off-the-lot setup, no part swapping. Sure, you can set either bike up to be just like the other since the frame angles and tube measurements are nearly the same, but when ordering a complete of either bike, the LHT is a more relaxed setup.
Between the LHT and the X-Check, there's not enough difference in the front ends (1mm of fork rake, IIRC) to feel a steering difference. The longer chainstays on the LHT do lead to a longer turning radius and a less nimble feel, IMO. Nothing like you'd feel with a 2 degree difference in HT angle, but if you ride both bike through the same situations you'll notice a difference. (Maybe. I notice it.)
If you're looking for a true "do it all" bike between the two, then the LHT is a better option. Off-the-rack it's ready for a wider option of riding than the X-Check. Now, you could always put an LHT fork on an X-Check and have the option for a front lowrider rack, but if you've got big panniers/big feet then you run the risk of heel strike with the shorter chainstays.

If it helps the OP or anyone with a decision, here's why I went with the X-Check vs. the LHT:
- I wanted a bike for MY commute, as well as long distance riding. My commute is 30 miles r/t with lots of hills and I drive once a week so I don't need to carry clothes, etc., just a lunch and repair kit. I use a handlebar bag and a seat wedge. I needed to clear 35mm studs with fenders for a couple months in the winter, and I run 28mm tires under the same fenders the rest of the year. I wanted a wide range cassette and a compact double instead of a triple up front.
The X-Check only needed me to swap out the tires/stem/saddle from stock parts for a perfect fit, and a 34t ring and 11-32 cassette to perfect the drivetrain. Fenders, and a front rack pilfered from my last bike, and it was ready to go.
I don't do overnight touring where I haul everything plus the kitchen sink, so I didn't want the extra weight of a triple, and I don't need the longer stays and lowrider mounts. I don't mind the tall stance of the BB on the X-Check since I'm 6'6"; every bike makes me feel like I'm perched up high anyhow. The extra inch doesn't affect my balance on long rides.