View Single Post
Old 05-08-08, 08:34 AM
Closed Office

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A great drink after a cold ride

I thought of this about 35 years ago when someone I knew had a cold, and made one for myself after a really cold ride here in Calgary this winter. About 16 miles there and back, at -33C in slow conditions with uncleared snow. I did warm up for about half an hour at the place I went to, and another warm up at a supermarket about half way back. And since then have made one most of my days off.

Put a half liter (2 cups) of water in a pot and turn the burner on high. Add a few spices, whatever you like. I add ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger and a couple of shakes of a can called pumpkin pie spices. Nutmeg would also be good. I like heat and also add a spice that would not normally be associated with these, chili. When the water comes to a boil, turn the burner off and add a third of a can of frozen concentrated apple juice. This takes the boil off immediately and depending on my mood I might leave it on the burner for a minute or 2 to absorb a bit more heat, but don't want it to come to a boil again and kill the vitamins in the apple juice.

Of course I'd also enjoy a beer mug full of brandy but am just not going to give the gov all that tax they collect on it. It might be closing now, but that kind of alcohol costs about twice as much here in Canada as it does in the states. Just about any country you go to has it for cheaper, and if I do wind up outside the country it's one of the few things I ever bring back.

Any other good drink ideas? No point in slowing down the winter section of the forum for a little thing like spring.