Old 05-08-08, 08:09 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThreLittleBirds
this is what is what I think I will need

X Park Tool Crank Puller PT-CWP6 $15.95 $15.95
X Park Triple Spoke Wrench PT-SW7A $8.95 $8.95
X Park Double Cone Wrench PT-DCW 13/15 $4.95 $9.90
X Pedros Syngrease 3oz. PE-G3 $7.95 $7.95
X Blackburn Frame Pump JB-FP S $23.95 $23.95
Subtotal: $66.70

Im hoping I can get the BB open with a lock jaw or channel lock

My front hub has 13mm cones, i havent checked the back yet (ive read they are usually 15mm)
I wasnt sure which spoke wrench would fit, and im hoping the tripple will have the one i need.

Is there any thing I'm missing?

oh and I still have no idea how to get these dust covers off:
The triple spoke wrenches are annoying IMO. Get the one you need to fit the spokes on your wheel. If you don't know, the guy at the LBS will be able to tell you which one you need.

13/15 is a good idea for the cone wrench. You'll also need a standard 15 and 17 (depending on your hubs, but probably) to go with.

Skip the pedros grease, and get a lot more for less as others have said from the local auto supply store.

Skip the frame pump and get a floor pump unless it's doing double duty as a take along pump. Even then it's still worth the investment to have both.

Get a hozan lockring tool for your BB. You'll balk at the price, but only until you use it. You'll also need the appropriate tool for your adjustable cup. Again, the LBS can guide you here.

You can get the dust covers off with a pair of needle nose pliers, or you can buy a tool for a few bucks to do the same thing.

You'll also need a 14mm socket to remove the crank bolts (or an 8mm allen key) and a 16mm open end wrench to work the crank puller.

If everything is in good condition, it's a pretty straightforward operation. If it's seized in there, then it'll be tough and you'll learn some tricks by the end. I'd start with the hubs if this is your first project.

Good luck!