View Single Post
Old 05-11-08, 04:16 AM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
These saddles have been around a lot longer than the newer plastic ones.

I used to hear a lot about how expensive Brooks saddles were, but it looks to me like the plastic ones are sometimes even more expensive.

I might get a new bike before I get a new saddle to replace my Brooks. When I do replace it, it'll probably be another Brooks.

As for rain, the UK gets a lot of that, where Brooks are made. Just make sure you treat it properly with Proofide. Brooks also sells a seatcover for a little over $10, but I don't know if it's necessary for rain.
I agree, Pete. These days, the Brooks saddles are a surprisingly good bargain. With the strength of the British Sterling, I hope that we don't see a big jump in prices of Brooks.

Rain, by the way, is bad for the saddles. I waterproof my saddles with a special formulated wax based leather balm. Even that isn't perfect. When leather saddles get wet, they get soft. When they get soft, they can get mis-shaped. This is one big drawback of leather saddles. I have a small saddlebag on most of my bikes. In it, I have shower caps that I gleened from stays at hotels that give them away in the room. These make great seat covers for when the bike is parked outside in the elements. I suppose a better quality shower cap from the Dollar Store would be even better.

One thing I notice is that scuffs get polished out of the leather as you ride it. I remember the first couple scratches and scuffs. I was so dis-heartened. Imagine my reclaimed joy as I watched the blemishes disappear over a couple days of riding.

Last edited by mike; 05-11-08 at 04:33 AM.