Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Longfemur
I'm not a pro, a racer, or anything like that, but I've been riding road bikes since the 1960's. You can save a lot of money by not buying one new saddle after another, and certainly by not buying a recumbent. Whenever someone says they are new, they have a higher-end road bike, and they have the problem you have, my first thought is that the saddle is too darned high, probably set by the owner or some guy who thinks what was appropriate for Greg LeMond is appropriate for everybody.

Start riding your bike with the saddle set the classic way it was always done before. Play with both horizontal and vertical positioning of the saddle (and also level it or slightly point it up if you feel yourself sliding forward on it). What the classic way? Set the bike either on a rear-wheel trainer or against a wall, sit on the bike and pedals backwards (or forward if on a trainer), so that you end up sitting on the saddle the same way as when you're riding. Pedals with heels on the pedals. Set height so that you can pedal without rocking your hips. Ride it like that, and with your bars set as high as they go. Set the horizontal position using the KOPS method such that the from of the knee is at least about where the end of the crankarm is (recheck saddle height after this). You can go a bit higher with the saddle, like half to a cm higher. Try this and see if it doesn't resolve your problem. Most saddles are way too high (and it won't be too low with the heel on pedal method either). You can pedal fine with the saddle set too high, and even without rocking your hips, because you will simply compensate by pedalling more toes down. But this tends to overextend the leg, and you end up strumming your crotch from side to side under heavy pressure on the saddle.

You may or may not agree with this, but I guarantee you there is no harm in trying it, and it won't cost a cent.
+1. When solving mysterious problems, always try the simple solutions first.

Az