View Single Post
Old 05-11-08, 06:11 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huffy's do use low quality parts, and I wouldn't be surprised if the current ones were using even lower quality parts than older models, but I still hesitate in using the term "junk" to describe them. Primarily because they've sold millions of bikes over the years and an awful lot of people were happy with them.

The OP got 12 years out of his and is still riding it. He isn't complaining about it. Go visit one of those used bike dealers that runs out of their garage/backyard. They sometimes have several 20-30 year old Huffy's, still in working condition.

Now if I were buying a 3-spd today, and was going to ride it a lot, I would go out and check out some of the Treks, Raleighs, Electras, Felts, Marins, and even the Schwinns (the ones sold in bike shops, not the psuedo Schwinns sold at Wal-Mart). There are some fun options out there. When I was in Florida this past winter and checked out some bike shops, there were far more cruisers on the floor than road bikes.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post