View Single Post
Old 05-13-08, 01:07 PM
jakbikesdc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Cool. We often visit Pensacola during summer because my wife grew up there and still has family in the area. BTW, did they ever fix the bike path between Pensacola Beach and Navarre? I used to do that ride just about every day while we visited, but it was torn up in one of the hurricanes and still out of commission last time we were there. We're planning to visit again in July.
Nope. It's still torn up. They've finished half of the road from Navarre to Opal beach, and the rest should be completed by the end of the year as it is a designated hurricane evacuation route. I guess it's kind of ironic that a hurricane would destroy a hurricane evacuation route.
I volunteer with the park service down here and we have a problem with the road crews disregarding the signs that we put up in the dunes area which set off areas for the nesting shorebirds. They are trying to get approval to start the rest of the road but are being told that they need to wait until the birds finish nesting. What may happen is the crews starting anyway dispite violation of the laws of protecting shorebirds and migratory birds that are there. It could be a huge legal battle if someone (ie Sierra Club or GP) decides to sue FDOT for the violation.

I see cyclists on the new road all the time though. The riding isn't challenging, but it has gorgeous scenery. I enjoy living in the area if only for the sake of seeing the wildlife at the beaches.

hey that's a sweet pic, i take it you were in motion when you snapped that baby, makes for a cool effect..
Correct. That's my front tire in the picture as well.

Today on my ride in many of the stick figured riders have been added over the "Bicycle Man" words. At least the paint is super highVis. white.