Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,965 Times in 1,402 Posts
Originally Posted by dark13star
That would be true, assuming that my blood sugar is already low when starting to drink the sugar, but I like to start taking in more complex sugars at the beginning of the ride and keeping it consistent, so I don't spike. I pedal between 90-100 RPM and do rides with 10,000' of elevation gain, so I am definitely burning sugar.

Even for people who don't spike, I would think the dental issues would be good reason to avoid simple sugars. I ride 5 or more times per week. I just don't want to rot my teeth. However, some people drink soda. I don't...
Read the thread:
What are you favorite or must have supplements
on this forum. People who experience low blood sugar while riding with drinks containing simple sugars have this problem because the sugar has too low a GI and doesn't cross the intestinal wall fast enough, not the reverse. That's why "complex sugars" work better for you. You are absolutely right about the tooth decay.

During the mountain 400 this Saturday, I will consume almost exclusively maltodextrin and soy protein. I'll probably supplement with a ham and cheese sandwich and a 750 cal fruit pie somewhere. And coffee! Looking forward to it.