View Single Post
Old 05-16-08, 09:01 AM
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, a roof rack is the only way to go. It keeps the bike up and away from the dust and dirt that gets sucked into the vacuum behind your vehicle. There are also no worries about damage in a rear ender. It is no problem to lift modern lightweight road bikes and even mountain bikes up onto the roof.
Bikes also are more easily stolen or vandalized when they are tucked onto the back of the car. They are much more conspicuous on top.
The other advantages are that a roof rack leaves the back of the car, including tail and signal lights, completely unobstructed and that I can use the rear hatch of my Subaru Outback with no hassles.

I was using a Thule Big Mouth which gently hold onto the down tube (yes, even on my carbon fibre bike, it's quite gentle), but I have switched to a Thule Echelon which is a fork mount system, because I didn't want to scuff the paint. I'll still use the Big Mouth for my mtb.

Unless one is physically incapable of lifting a bike up onto the roof, or the car will not accept a roof rack, the logic of using a rear mount rack eludes me.