Old 05-18-08, 10:29 AM
tippy

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry that you got hurt and I know that you are angry .... however ... let's use this as a life lesson or you will have gotten hurt for no good reason

Originally Posted by Chris516
...I was riding along the right shoulder of this small one lane rural road...
...I was 'taking the lane', of there being no 'bike lane' in the road, even though, the state law says to ride to the right hand side of the road.
Are you trying to place blame on the roadway? Are you inferring that the absence of a bike lane contributed to the incident?
Are you trying to convince us you were obeying the traffic code? Most states (probably Maryland too) require you (cyclist) to ride as far to the right as practicable with exceptions. You seem to be unclear about the exceptions and misinterpretting the code in a way that requires you to "hug the curb" in ALL situations concerning your safety. You may want to revisit the code.
... A ... driver was following too close so, I moved close to the curb so she could pass me before getting to the intersection.
OK ... following to close might be an issue but you were not REQUIRE to move over if one or more of the exceptions existed. If you moved over to share the lane, then the driver was not obligated to overtake you. That's why they call it "sharing the lane".
You "expected" something of the driver that the driver didn't necessarily have to do.
If you moved over as a slow moving vehicle would do (out of courtesy), then generally the slow moving vehicle slow enough to allow the vehicle to pass. Your post wasn't clear on this. Your post seems to imply you held your ground against the curb.
If you want someone to "overtake you (" ... so she could pass me ..." ), then YOU slow down ... don't rely on them to sped up.
... Instead of passing me, she gets even with me and, does not pass me!!!!!!
You moved over to "share the lane" ... right? So why are you so upset that the driver didn't overtake you.
If you want to share ... move over and maintain speed. If you want to be overtaken ... move over and SLOW DOWN.
... she starts to drift towards the curb!!!!!
Ok ... the driver was following to close and drifted over without ensure it was clear. I agree that the driver could have done better at this but this does not leave you inocent.
... I immediately got up an berated the woman for her idiotic driving when she obviously saw me!!!!
A little inept in driving skills but if the driver drove "idiotic", you probably would be dead.
When they ( BLS(Basic Life Support) ambulance ) got there, they started looking for the accident, as if it had involved two cars. I had to use hand motions to, point out I was the one that was hit.
All the world is full of idiots except for you ...
... officers ask the idiot driver, if she saw me, she had the gaul to say she didn't!!!
Vehicles have blind spots ... sometimes big ones. At the very moment the driver "drifted", you might have been in one ... so in that instance of time ... the driver might possibly didn't see you. You could have gotten out of the blind spot by slowing down and the driver go ahead.
... I chose not to go to the hospital but, apparently, because of that, the police did not file a report!!!!
One injured person decided not to get a check up and one police officer didn't file a report because the injured person didn't get checkout??
Seems idiocy comes in different makes and models ... not just female and in cars.