Old 05-21-08, 07:57 AM
Catweazle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
a well implemented bike lane allows a vehicular cyclist to pass lines of traffic with greater ease than unaccomodated roads.

I'm having difficulty getting my head around the implications of this. Are you talking about situations where a cyclist might be travelling in the traffic lane rather than the provided bike lane, but move over into the bike lane to pass traffic which is at a standstill?

Here where I live that'd be illegal, because where a bike lane is provided it is mandatory for cyclists to be in it rather than in the traffic lane. Where a bike lane is available for use by cyclists, cyclists are supposed to be in it. You don't get to choose. Not legally, anyways. It wouldn't be the moving over into the bike lane which would be deemed wrongful behaviour. It'd be the riding in the traffic lane to begin with.

Technically, that applies where 'shared pathways' are available for cyclists also. But where it's a shared pathway rather than a bike lane running alongside the road traffic police will only pursue action against cyclists who are in the traffic lane and travelling at an 'unreasonably' slow pace. 'Granny' trundling along slowly with her shpping basket full would be frowned upon for being on the road rather than the shared path, but a commuter or roadie or whatnot who is travelling at a reasonable clip wouldn't really get a second glance. That's only for shared pathways, though. Bike lanes are there for bikes, and bikes are supposed to be in them.