Old 05-23-08, 10:26 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Suggestions for my first touring trip?

Hello, I have recently begun commuting to and from work/school and have discovered the wonders of cycling! Lately I have been ditching class just to go for rides. Been commuting about 10-20 miles a day depending on my schedule for about six months and I cant get enough of it! However, my original rig was bought with only commuting in mind. I ride an 07 Giant FRC with full fenders, read rack, and rear transit epic panniers. I would like to start touring sometime and eventually go across country. However, for my first tour I was not sure if i should just upgrade my current bike for a short trip from Sacramento to Seattle to see if I enjoy the sport, or if i should run out and buy a real touring bike? I have been looking at the Raleigh Sojourn because it is very pretty and i like the brooks saddle and all the other goodies. Though, a lot of my riding will still be commuting so i am not sure about bar end shifters... I also like the Fuji Touring a lot and my LBS has an 07 on sale for $600! I dont like the LHT because i am only 5'7" and dont want to have to use 26inch wheels, i like 700s much better. Any suggestions? Should i do a short tour with my hybrid or upgrade now? What would a good entry level touring bike cost me that would also be reasonable to commute with? My max brice for the bike is about $1,300.