Old 05-24-08, 07:23 PM
wmodavis
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hose mine down to remove the big chunks and anything the hose can remove. I try not to direct high pressure water into any bearing areas but frankly it's nearly impossible to prevent it 100%. I then use bristle brushes and soapy water (usually use liquid diswashing detergent) to remove grime the hose wouldn't remove paying special attention to the chainring and cassette. I also do apply high pressure water to the chain as I rotate it through several complete revolutions of the chain. To do the chain cleaning part I point the nozzle down into the top of the chain along the bottom run so the gunk just hits the ground not me or the car or the house etc. I then rinse the soaped bike with a light fine spray then completely wipe the bike down with clean absorbant rags. Once that drying is done I supplement that with a compressed air blow-out of hard to reach parts such as the derailers, brakes, and any other little places for water to lurk including the chain. It finishes air-drying while I clean up since many of my muddy rides leave me as caked up as the bike was. To finish up I oil the chain and I'm ready for the next muddy ride. Sorry guys I've got too much invested in my bike to let it go. It's got to last me a good while yet.