Old 05-24-08, 09:40 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I love the idea of of an old school (or close to it) 3-speed/IGH bicycle for the practicality and utility. I also love a lot of the ideas on bikes from Europe in general since so much of the market there is geared towards a bike as viable transit. So with that in mind, the screwed up little project in my head would be something like:

Using a Mixte frame (kind of an old school throw back to the new step-through bikes that are coming stateside), converting it to a 650b wheel set (not hard considering the French mixtes out there) and an IGH (either 3-speed or something more modern like a 5 or 7). Now to be really adventurous, see about using an IGH set up for disc brakes to avoid some issues with 650b and make a more reliable bike. Throw in a front dynohub and 1-2 (modern) generator lights, Wald front basket and a really awesome rack produced here locally.

What can I say, I want a unique ride. I know I could probably just buy something pretty darn close. I would just love to see the looks to be honest. For me it would be the challenge of designing the thing, scrounging the parts and getting it together.