View Single Post
Old 05-25-08, 07:17 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
self-supported century complete!

Well, thanks guys, I did it yesterday. Old town Alexandria to Purcellville and back. It was a cloudless day when I set out, winds 5-10 mph as headwinds on the way out. Total Ride stats:

100.68 miles
7:03:28
3,457 feet climing
14.3 MPH average

Bike is a Kona JTS with custom deep-vs.

It was a great ride. It got a little wierd for me on the way out when I got to sections I'd never ridden -- semmed like one long hill for the last 15 miles before the turnaround...into the wind. I seriously started thinking about the web search on the berry to find a cab home. But I made it to Purcellville, got some energy drinks (so i could mix it up a little from the food i had) and decided to try. Miles 55-80 were ver smooth and easy, and I stopped for an ice cream in Vienna as a carnival had literally blocked the trail.

Developed a cramp in my left quad at 88 miles, stopped and stretched at 90 and that took care of it. As I pulled into the driveway I almost went for another stretch to make it a double metric, as I felt fine.

Total consumption: 4 gel packs, a falafel sandwich, a power br and an ice cream. 4 liters of water, 2 mixed accelerades and 2 sport drinks.

BTW, aluminum is fine. The Kona was stable and very comfy for the ride. 2 advils this morning and am a little sore, but not what I expected.

So -- who wants to come next time?