View Single Post
Old 05-25-08, 09:42 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I recall that some states -- Georgia? -- recently altered the privileges that a young licensed driver possesses with an immediate impact -- statistically and meaningfully significant -- on auto mortality and injury statistics. Raising the driving age, limited the hours and range that they can drive, the number of passengers, and so on all seem to be on the table. The context for the articles is recent MD (maybe just Montgomery County, MD) legislation regarding teen drivers. Apparently, there was quite a bit of resistance from parents when the Georgia (assuming that I have the state correct) legislation was proposed and passed. But the empirical results have quashed the complaints.

I also recall recent articles and stories of insurance companies giving discounts for parents that install monitoring devices on cars that teenagers drive. Typically this includes some alert when the car accelerates, decelerates, or has a velocity beyond, some threshold. Some seem to install a little camera in the car such that one can observe what the driver was doing at the time of the incident.