View Single Post
Old 05-26-08, 02:55 AM
keiron curtis
welshcyclist

Location: Glynneath, a village in the Neath valley, in West Glamorgan, Wales, UK

Bikes: Raleigh Chiltern 3 speed, Pioneer Venture GT 27 speed tourer, Carrera Subway 8. Sadly I don't like the Pioneer, which though I've had it for over a year, has only been ridden three times, and is still in brand new condition, with the blue grease on

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ebikes4ever
I've been bike commuting to various work locations for over 30 years. The typical rt distance is 15 miles. What I've found helpful:
1. Some kind of topo map of the route to reduce hills. (I used MS Terra Server or google earth) There is always a flatter way and the goal of my commutes is just that, commute, not ego.
2. I like the Specialized armadillo tires as the most flat resistant and also use a slime tube. Yes, I know, weight on tires is higher but think about it, if you are commuting, you typically have to take lots of things like a briefcase, etc to work so I don't think too much about weight, more about how much fun a flat is.
3. I've tried panniers, special rack mounted briefcases but oddly, I have found a simple wire basket mounted to my rear rack the best for me. It carries the briefcase and if I stop at the market, it carries odd shaped items better as long as I have a bungee cord.
4. Lights. More to be seen than to see. I actually got stopped by a policeman for not having a front light once.
5. Helmets and gloves. Once you fall, you know why gloves are nice.
6. Ok, this is out of the box. I've commuted on MTB, Comfort, Flat handlebar road but never exotic stuff, always < $1000.00, but here is my favorite and why: Giant Revive with an electric motor inline with the gears (Cyclone-tw.com has the double freewheel motor kit). **All the things we don't like on a daily basis, starting from a dead stop, hills, headwind, sidewind, all of the above combined, become irrelevant on an ebike. That makes it much more likely that you will commute and save carbon. Also, the average speed maintainable without sweating is probably around 18-20 mph which makes for a faster commute. And lastly, as I move through the 50's, I can see a time when a conventional bike won't be rideable with older legs but an ebike will extend that joy of riding for a few more years!
I like your logic, I've only been part commuting to work and back, for 18 months, built up from 6 miles to 22 miles round trip, so far. I'm 57, weigh 230lbs, and probably carry 20lbs+, kitwise, ergo, I do not like hills. My bete noire, is about half way, if I were to do the whole commute, a round trip of 36 miles, in total, but it's that hill that puts me off going for it, not forgetting punctures. The truth is, I suppose, that I'm an introverted type who doesn't like others see me struggling up such hills, and I sweat before I reach it, dreading the experience. Obviously, as I get older, such things will get more difficult, so it makes sense to have an electric motor assist. Thanks for mentioning this alternative in your post. As far as punctures are concerned, I've had enough, and I'm going to try solid inner tubes, currently I'm waiting for a test piece to try in my tyre, for fit. What do you think of such an inner tube?