View Single Post
Old 05-26-08, 10:10 PM
Brad Smith

Bikes: 2006 Marin San Anselmo, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro (custom), 2007 Salsa Casseroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibbygoo
Thanks for the update Brad. I am building up a Casseroll this week and wondered what your final build list was. (as pictured) I've been on too big of a Cross-Check for a while and hoping the Casseroll works out well. I'll post some details when it's ready. I might create a new thread...The Great Casseroll Build of '08.
Here are the final specs as it is currently built:

Frame: 2007 Salsa Casseroll 53cm
Cranks: Shimano 105 (FC-5603)
Brake Levers/Shifters: Shimano 105 (ST-5600)
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 (FD-5603)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 (RD-5600-GS)
Brakes: Shimano Long-Reach Caliper (BR-R600)
Chain: Shimano 105 (CN-5600)
Cassette: Shimano 105 (CS-5600)
Wheels: Custom built Mavic and Shimano
Rims: Mavic Open Pro (black)
Front Hub: Shimano 105 (HB-5600)
Rear Freehub: Shimano 105 (FH-5600)
Spokes: Stainless
Tires: Continental Ultra GatorSkin (700 x 28c)
Tubes: Specialized tubes (or whatever I find on sale at the time)
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet (1-1/8"), black with red bearing cap
Stem: LH Thomson Elite X2 (1-1/8", 10º rise, 90mm), black
Handlebars: FSA Wing Pro (31.8 x 420mm)
Bar Tape: Fi'zi:k Microtex and Bar Gel in Red
Seatpost: LH Thomson Elite (27.2 diameter, 330mm), black
Saddle: Brooks B17 Champion Special (black with copper rails)
Pedals: Bebop Stainless Steel
Rack: Tubus Cargo Rack
Fenders: SKS/Esge Fenders for up to 32mm tires (black)
Headlight: Cateye HL-EL500
Taillight: Cateye LD-1100

It's a great build. There are some things I am changing in the next couple of weeks, some as a result of a pro bike fit at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine (IT Band issues):

Pedals: I'm swapping from Bebop Stainless pedals to the Speedplay X2 pedals. I know this is an odd switch on a commuting/touring bike, but I need to widen my stance at the suggestion of a pro bike fit. Mountain cleats on mountain shoes cannot be moved as much as needed.
Stem: I'm switching away from the Thomson Elite X2 stem for the time being, not because I have had issues (it's awesome), but again for fitting reasons. My core strength and resulting posture is a problem at the moment, so I am switching to a Salsa stem of the same length (90mm) with a rise of 25º while I work through the issues.
Handlebars: Swapping the FSA Wing Pros in the 420mm width for the Salsa Short & Shallow in the 440mm width. Needed the wider bars (wider shoulders than worked with the 420mm) and the shorter bars to improve reach for posture-related issues.

All these posture issues, as they get resolved through strength training and therapy, will gradually allow me to shift back towards more of a drop, etc.

One final change that might be coming: A Garmin Edge 705. Perhaps.