Old 05-27-08, 12:57 PM
currand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michael01612

Couple of questions:
1) Am I crazy? Ok...nevermind that question.
No. This isn't as uncommon as you'd think. I know a few coaches around here who ride in events for their clients. They carry spare tubes, water, food, etc. With the goal that they'll worry about the things you don't know to worry about and just let you ride. That is the true job of a "domestique" (IMHO).

2) How would I manage that situation? I mean...this hypothetical person would be a stronger rider than me (cat 3 or better?) and I am 2nd year cat 5. Do I take any turns at the front? Does this person only start taking pulls when the group starts to break up...say at 35 or 45 miles? How do I tell this person to speed up, or slow down? How do I use their abilities...for my best advantage?

I think you find someone "one or two levels" above yours and ask them to carry your tubes, water, food, etc. in return for fees and a small amount for their time. I think having a person cover your wheel all day completely defeats the purpose of a PR. Having someone there to give you their wheel or give a hand up is just removing the unfortunate realities of bike riding.
3) How would I interview and select candidates? On what criteria?
As I said above, find someone who can hold at least your pace or greater and is willing to ride along side you or in the same paceline and carry your stuff. They should also be able to stop for periods (such as for wheel changes and drinks, etc) and catch back on by the next SAG stop.
4) Any interest? (ride is in Massachusetts, Sunday July 27th)
If I lived anywhere near you I'd do it in a heart beat. 100 flat miles is my kind of ridin'!!!
5) Is that a fair rate...$150...for a day of riding domestique?
In addition to entry fees, yes. That works out to $30/hour for a 5-hour century. If that's inclusive of the fees, you'll need to find someone who has a vested interest in seeing you set the PR (like a friend or coach).

My .08 Euros, YMMV, void where incorrect, not valid in Hawaii, Alaska, or Puerto Rico, past performance is not indicative of future results.

Last edited by currand; 05-27-08 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Fixed some equally poor math and spelling skillz