View Single Post
Old 05-27-08, 07:49 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Memorial Weekend Rides

I was fortunate to be able to spend the weekend down in Louisiana with the family. I was able to get in about 100 miles in three rides. The temperatures were about right for riding, mid 90's. Humidity was typical for that part of the world at this time of year, high.

One ride was along a bayou and out to LSU at Alexandria.

This is a shot of one of the bayous I crossed on the way to the college. This is a last year's photo, but trust me, the bayou hasn't changed. I hope I haven't posted these before. I don't think I have.

This is the view from the other side of the bridge.

This is one of the live oaks at the LSUA campus. If you have a magnifying glass, you can see Ol 'Fuj parked at the base of the tree. There's no telling how old these trees are. I suspect they could tell some good stories.

On another of the rides, I rode out to England Air Park, which in a former life was England Air Force Base.

There is a static display in the central park of the base. This is an A10 Warthog with the Flying Tigers nose art. They were stationed at the base until just prior to its closure. We and several thousand of our closest friends went to the base to watch them fly in from Desert Storm. We were all very proud of them The A10s flew low over the surrounding area when they were stationed there. Their skill with the aircraft was impressive.

There are several other planes in the exhibit including an F8, two 86's, and an F105.

A Memorial Day wreath had been placed in front of the fountain and made me pause to remember the significance of the observance of Memorial Day.

It was nice to get back home and see everyone and to get to ride as well; however, the wife finally caught up with me, and I had to mow the yard.

Last edited by doctor j; 05-27-08 at 07:53 PM.