View Single Post
Old 10-18-04, 06:17 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The general theory is that exercising with lighter weights and more reps builds bulk; while exercising with heavier weights and lower reps builds more strength.

Current research shows that it is extremely important to:

1. Use good form. That means if you are exercising you biceps, use light enough weight that you aren't using other parts of your body or momentun to get the weight up. Keep things straight, well-aligned.

2. The slower you do your lifts, and, even more importantly, the slower you do the return, the more muscle you will build. I.e., go up to a count of 2 or 3 and go down with a count of 4 or 5.

3. Rest of your muscles between workouts is extremely important. While lifting, you tear your muscles. You actually build the muscle back, larger and stronger, when you rest.

I use the Body for Life format, with upperbody including biceps, triceps, back, shoulders, chest. I would also include abs. This would be 2-3 times per week.

I.e.,

Bench Press

12 x's 157 lbs
rest 1 minute
10 x's 177 lbs
rest 1 minute
8 x's 187
rest 1 minute
6 x's 197
rest 2 minutes
Finish with
177 x's 12
Then immediately go to complimentary exercise, i.e.
incline bench press at 155 lbs x's 12

All muscle groups in the BfL use the same protocol.

Biceps - Biceps Curl, machine
Triceps - I do body dips (12, 10, 8 , 6, 12) then triceps kick back or triceps pull down
Back - Lower Back Machine, rows, etc.
Abs - crunches, lateral crunches, machine
Shoulder - raises/lifts, machine, cable

etc.

Takes about an hour.

BUT, I also alternate with lower body (calves, quads, hams, hips) on every other day.

I.e.

M- UB

W - LB

F - UB

M - LB

W- UB

F - LB

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-18-04 at 06:25 AM.