View Single Post
Old 05-28-08, 08:51 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically, a very unstable trailer. The wheels were steel-rimmed 27's with road tires. This placed the chassis pretty high, and with the "tuff box" strapped to it, made speeds greater than 15 mph rather precarious indeed...
The bottom of your plastic container is above axles that are 13 1/2 inches above the ground. I went for 4 inches instead.

I built my trailer with a frame almost the same shape aside from the tongue part. The space between the wheels on mine is empty, though, and I bolted my large plastic container between the outer frame rails so that the axles of the wheels are well above the bottom of the container. I used 20" wheels, so the axles are 10 inches above ground.

This is much better setup from a center-of-gravity standpoint.

Using smaller wheels also allows you to put the wheels further back, which reduces the "death wobble" tendency. In my opinion putting the wheels toward the rear is a good choice if your hitch and trailer tongue are strong enough to carry substantial weight. It has no negative effect on the bike handling, and under hard braking your rear wheel will be better able to maintain traction, avoid jackknifing, and provide braking force at the same time. (but still, brake with front and rear brakes, not just rear!)