View Single Post
Old 05-30-08, 01:11 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Are you really sure that you are not slowing down some after you pass. Virtually every rider who has passed me slows down 1 to 3 mph once they get about 100 yards ahead. That means that in about 200 yards, I am on their rear wheel. If that happens, then I consider that they gave me permission to draft by their action.

If they are going about the speed I want to travel, I stay on their wheel, because I know that if I kicked it up and passed them, they would speed up like we were in a race. If they are going slower than I want to travel, I will draft (and get some recovery) until we approach a hard section. Then I will take off and keep going. By that point, even if they try and race, I am gone.

If they want to work together, all they have to do is ask OR pull a little left, and stop pedaling. I will get the message and work with them.

I only worry about someone drafting me if they look like they do not know how to work even a 2 man pace line or they refuse to work together after being asked.

Really nothing to get worked up about, no matter how it works out.
If I hit the brakes to avoid some hazard (or for any reason at all) without knowing somebody's inches away from my rear tire that could ruin both of our day's. Unless you're on a group ride you don't draft without announcing you're presence, period.

I don't pass somebody unless I'm cruising faster than they are. Yes, I may give a little extra as I'm going by (like I would in a car) to complete the pass quicker, but I don't do it out of ego. No one should interpret that as permission to draft. They're free to pass me back if they like, I'm not going to make a race out if it.