Old 05-31-08, 02:21 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murbike
Yep, I hear ya.

I was referring more to the tactics used by CM during their rides. Things like 'corking' (blocking intersections so that the ride can pass unimpeded), jamming up the roads, and all of the other stuff does not raise awareness of bicycles as traffic. It makes cyclists look like impediments to traffic.

I'm not sure how the Hartford ride progresses (I work out of town, but will try to attend one day), but the actions the riders take under the guise of education in other cities does more damage to the image of cyclists than it would raise awareness in drivers eyes. Many drivers have a hard time accepting us when we ride in groups of two, never mind a mob of ill behaved people on bikes blocking traffic, promoting whatever political agenda they happen to have.

Showing cyclists that they can ride in the city is great. Pissing off drivers (the vast majority of traffic) while doing it is not the best way, though.

That being said, have fun. I love city riding (Hartford, Philly, NYC, Boston, and many in between).

That was my impression as well, that it would just cause more bad feelings toward cyclists. I have never attended one, but maybe I should, just to see how it gets done around here. I think if it's done correctly, it would be beneficial.