Old 06-04-08, 07:37 PM
idiq
IRL Banhammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diff_lock2
Deep v's seem to be the bestest for the street. Shorter spokes, stronger wheel AND with such a thick rim they must be strong. Also they should stay true longer, with larger amounts of abuse.
That's not a logical conclusion. For one, they're not a 'stronger' wheel. Second, just by having a thick rim doesn't mean you're stronger. I can build a ship out of thick balsa wood, and see how well it will survive in a storm. Present some actual facts about the Deep-V and perhaps I'll reconsider your argument.

Originally Posted by 4zn_balla
i think any non-deep V will get untrued from street riding. Flame me or flag me as ignorant, but that's what i think
This is ridiculous. I'm not going to attack you personally for saying this, but the statement itself. Deep-V's are not even straight out of the box 95% of the time. The rim itself is not structurally strong (there are no additional pockets / walls to divide the rim). A lot of the 'trueness' of a rim depends on spoke tension as well. So, you could have a Deep-V with a very bad lacing / build that gets obliterated on the street, and one just the opposite, which brings your statement to a moot point.

I am told (not sure if it is true) that A/C Mountain wheels are frozen (to shrink the rim) then built by a machine to increase the tension. I know someone with their mountain wheels that haven't had to true them in the 3 years they've owned them - and they do heavy trail riding weekly. It just so happens that A/C also makes a track wheel. If what is true for the mountain wheels are true for the track wheels, it seems that your point also falls apart.

I'm not trying to attack anyone here, just please make sound points that you can actually justify.

Edit:
I just want to clarify my feelings on the Deep-V: I know it sounds like I'm 100% against the Deep-V rim, and this is not the case. Rather, I am easily frustrated when people make knowledge claims on things that are simply not true. I do think the Deep-V is a decent rim if you want a cheap and deep rim. I do not think it is the end-all of rims, by a very very long shot. I'll be the first to admit, it looks decent and non-machined rims make the rim look deeper then it really is, which I think also adds to the looks. I'm perfectly ok with the aesthetics of the Deep-V, I'm just not willing to hype it to the level that others are.

Last edited by idiq; 06-04-08 at 08:23 PM.