View Single Post
Old 06-04-08, 09:09 PM
Glenn1234

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gearing Up for Longer Rides

I wanted to ask about any necessary tips for doing longer rides. Like gear to look into (probably gloves, my hands were feeling it after the 10 mi I mentioned before), how to handle eating/drinking during the ride, etc?

My big wall I noticed with the 10 mi was at about the 5 or 6 mile mark I needed something to drink - even more so on warmer days. Some days with the walking, I just notice all the energy go out of me (not just general muscle fatigue but all over), which I guess means that I'm undernourished for the moment and needed food?

I notice many people mentioning centuries and from reading these pages, I get the feeling that 10 mi is nothing in the grand scheme of things, so I'm just wondering how one plans for longer rides in that respect?

Edit: How do people handle their route planning? Is it usually consideration for rest points, places to eat, and so forth, as well as road conditions? I notice for where I live about 15 miles is the extent of a non-repeating route, so this is going to start being a factor for me as well.

Last edited by Glenn1234; 06-04-08 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added question about route planning.