Old 06-05-08, 09:30 PM
idiq
IRL Banhammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alaska
at idiq: deep-vs make for stronger wheels because the spokes are shorter. and yes, they are double walled, although not eyeleted. mountain wheels also have shorter spokes than a 700c box rim.
I didn't think about the shorter spokes. I can see where spoke length would play a role in the strength of the wheel overall (one can argue for spoke count here as well).

I however would say, 'deep rims can make for stronger wheels because the spokes are shorter', rather than strictly deep-vs. There are plenty of options out there with a 30mm rim that are inherently stronger.

If rim strength relied on spoke length only, one could make the argument that a HF, low-profile wheel is just as strong as a LF, Deep-V (high-profile wheel) when this may or may not be the case. That is, imagine a scenario where a 'short' spoke-length is the same on a different combination of rims/hubs. I think it becomes quite clear then, that strength might not chiefly rely on the spoke length, but a combination of the structure of the rim as well as spoke length. This would include I-beams, bulges, welds vs. sleeve joints, etc... I'm not sure if that is what you mean by eyelets or not - typically I think of spoke eyelets.

As I said before, I think there are better options out there for what you'll drop on a Deep-V wheelset at retail.