idiq
IRL Banhammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blickblocks
Aluminum is frozen at room temperature.
I don't know whether that's correct or not, but even if it is, I know A/C and Mavic (on their pre-built wheels) use a shrinking process on their rims, so the spoke tension is extremely high. Basically they use the process to shrink the rim (I was under the impression it was freezing it) lace the wheel up, then release the shrinking process. If I recall correctly, (sorry I don't remember the units) the tension for Mavic pre-built is ~400 [units], while most hand-built wheels being only ~100 [units].

In fact, Mavic includes a plastic nipple tool so that if you break a spoke you can try and reset the tension, however this piece is plastic and typically rounds out after replacing a single spoke. On Mavic pre-built wheels multiple broken spokes usually results in a shipment back to Mavic. You can certainly true pre-built wheels easily enough, as the tension of the nipples is held in check evenly throughout the wheel (none are broken). Even for one broken spoke, setting that tension at ~100 [units] is OK, since there is so much more on all of the others. This applies to pre-built wheels directly from Mavic's factory, not ones such as the Open Pro / Ultegra sets.